In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

"I Have To Admit, It's Getting Better..."

Introducing Ayuen Panchol, the baby-faced 6'5" Sudanese journalist-slash-rapper a.k.a. "T.S." from the group "Holy Crooks" and who is now my new best friend, and who COMPLETELY hooked me up with an elaborate collection of classic and new hip-hop music: De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Common, The Beatnuts, Pharcyde. It's mind boggling how much edgy, super cool music this kid has.

As a result, I am happy again. My week in Juba, GOSS has completely recharged my batteries and realigned my worldview. The Sudanese reporters I've worked with are positive, enthusiastic, smart, professional, serious--it makes last week feel like a blip on the radar screen. I WANT to stay in touch with these reporters. I WANT to hear their stories and track their progress. I WANT to know what they experience during the historic election that's coming up next month. Mostly because I want to be sure they'll be okay if any there's any trouble.

And....I WANT to come back to Juba.

Two months ago, you couldn't have paid me a thousand dollars to believe I would ever feel that way. Or that I would agree to go clubbing with a baby-faced 6'5" Sudanese journalist-slash-rapper in a group called "Holy Crooks" next time he comes to Nairobi. But you always have to stay open to the possibilities....

No comments: