In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

"Well It's Not Far Back to Sanity...."


".....at least it's not for me. And if the wind is right you can sail away, find tranquility."

You know, even though I've been working like a red-headed mule these past few months, I can honestly say that my trips to Kilifi have provided a bit of a sanctuary. And even that's kind of ironic, because they've all been working trips!

But when I've allowed myself a break to relax by the pool, I've alway felt rejuvenated. Oh, the place I'm staying in isn't a super posh resort; it's actually quite basic by my Princess-y standards. Clean, comfortable, no frills, adequate food. The pool is actually the biggest selling point.

And the sailboats. Dhows and the like. You already know about my dhow Jones. But there's just something about lying in the sun watching boats drift by that I find really soothing. They're so graceful, and calm. And yet somehow purposeful. They're going somewhere, they're just not rushing. Just like me. The Kenyan Alliance of Health and Science Reporters Workshop begins tomorrow morning bright and early; the journalists will be arriving in Kilifi in a couple of hours. But for the first time since I don't know when, I'm actually calm about a project I've worked my guts out in pulling together. I'm not stressing. Granted, you should probably talk to me tomorrow morning, but for now, I'm chill.

I wonder if people in sailboats realize that the only reason they exist is to inspire those left on shore????

No comments: