In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, November 8, 2010

"...In 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.........


Good Heavens, Y'all, I have been so incredibly SNOWED UNDER, I forgot to mention that tomorrow is D-Day. THE Day!!! The Day I've been corroding my stomach lining with acidic bile about over the past month or so. The day that's the reason I dang near pulled each and every one of my locs out of my head about back in April while writing my application for a Wellcome Trust International Public Engagement Grant.

Tomorrow is the Official Launch Briefing for the newly formed Kenyan Alliance of Health and Science Reporters (KAHSR). The logo above is just one of those things I about had 3 kittens over in recent weeks. I think I mentioned the first conceptual image I had for a logo in a post a while back. It was based on a compass, but instead of bearing the North, South, East and West elements, my organizational compass would contain elements of science, research, news gathering and final media product. You know, a brain, a microscope, a notepad, and a TV set, etc, etc.

Except that when my boss in DC saw it, she said it looked like "a mad scientist's vision of the Kenyan flag." My feelings would have been hurt, if I hadn't been laughing so hard.

I finally settled on this concept from a young graphic artist named Peter, who actually helped with the redesign of both major local newspapers, the Daily Nation and the Standard. I think it's really cool, and so does everyone else who's seen it--so far.

Regardless, the deal is done. We achieve lift-off tomorrow at 9 AM at the Nairobi Hilton Hotel. For some reason, I'm strangely calm. Eerily so. I find myself taking my blood pressure a bit more often these days, to make sure I am neither stroking out, or that I didn't die and somebody forgot to tell me.

Guess that means I know what I'm doing. We'll see tomorrow morning, huh?

Wish me luck....

1 comment:

Sophia said...

hello,
i love reading your post. They are so full of meat. i need to start from the beginning.
Peace
Sophia