In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"Happy Anniversary, Mr. President....."


It's really been a year since the Election that changed everything, everywhere. Wow.

Don't know if time is just passing quicker, or if I'm just too preoccupied to notice it slipping by. Whatever, it's just incredible that it's been 12 months since I spent an entire day perched on a razor's edge, thinking I'd never be able to return to America if John McCain were elected President.

Now, a year spent immersed in Kenya has definitely given me a more mature, and robust view of all things geopolitical, so I'm not just hangin' out in La La Land about America's 44th President. After the intial euphoria of Election '08 wore off, I realized Barack Obama had just signed himself up for the most complicated, stressful, gut-wrenching, high-stakes, low rewards gig in the history of humanity. He'd be the "Most Powerful Man on Earth" in theory, but how much does that mean when you're juggling 2 wars, an economic meltdown and lingering, blatant disrespect and contempt based on solely on the color of your skin?

All I can say is, better him than me. I predict he will eventually be sporting a fluffy white afro, ESPECIALLY if he seeks and wins another term. But then, this morning I heard about the two big Democratic losses in New Jersey and Virginia gubernatorial races. I know, I know, it doesn't necessarily mean he's down for the count. But things sure doesn't look so hot at the moment.

That said, I still fervently believe America made the right choice last November. I'm still profoundly proud of my country, and my President. After all, no matter what his flaws and challenges might be, he did help produce my personal pick for "Most Powerful Person in the World 2044," President Sasha Obama!

No comments: