In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Friday, November 6, 2009

A Different Perspective


I don't know why I like this picture so much.

It was taken this morning at the "Door of No Return," during my tour of Goree Island, one of the major embarking points for slaves headed to the US from Africa. You may recall that it's my second such trip; I've also visited the Elmina slave "castle" near Accra, Ghana, where President Obama and his family went earlier this year. As you might expect, it was yet another sobering, disquieting event. And yet......

But I gotta run now, to a jazz concert at the French Cultural Institute. I'll tell you all about my first day in Dakar later. In the meantime, I thought this picture would give you a clue about how the journey struck me. I definitely came away with a different perspective, one that surprised me quite a bit.

Keep watching this space. That is, if this skewed picture doesn't piss you off. "All will be revealed..."

No comments: