In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Word On The Street....


Other than wasting 3 hours at the DC Department of Motor Vehicles yesterday, I got quite a lot accomplished. The skin care products I use are on sale at CVS, so I picked up a few bottles, along with some other supplies. Found a great pair of comfy cross trainers. Had a holistic facial, including blueberry scrub, thank you very much, in Takoma Park. Came home, and my brother Peter prepared a fantastic steak dinner.


And I'm almost back to normal. Slept a lot better and feel less foggy-headed. And I'm still thinking about a couple of things I heard yesterday while out and about. During my first stop at Duke's Shoe Repair in the U Street Corridor, I was dropping a few quarters in the meter, grimacing while trying to determine whether a quarter provided 15 or 30 minutes.


Just then, a stone-cold DC, righteous, OLD SKOOL BRUTHA walked past. I'd say he was mid to late 50's, the kind of guy I used to respect as my elder...except now he's almost my contemporary!! Anyway, he saw me squinting at the meter and stopped dead in his tracks. And then he said,


"You are one beautiful black sister, but if you don't put a smile on that face right now, I'm gon' bust out crying."


I could have kissed him! I broke out with one of my world class, gums gleaming, Kool-Aid smiles, I was so happy to hear him say that. And it's funny, I used to get ticked when strange men ordered me to smile, like it's my duty to look pleasant at all times. Now, I'm just grateful they're still looking at me at all.


A few hours later, after my abortive mission at the DMV, I had a hankering for some Vietnamese Pho, so I headed to a nearby restaurant in the heart of Georgetown. (GAWD, I love Georgetown. And I look forward to actually being able to afford most of the stuff there one day soon.)


As I waited for my order, I naturally couldn't help eavesdropping on the couple at the next table. They were white, maybe mid-30's, and talking about recent trips President Obama has taken to various countries.


(DOUBLE GAWD, I love writing the words "President Obama." It still feels like a dream...)


Anyway, at one point, the woman says,


"You know, for the first time in a long time, I'm really proud to be an American."


Now, the cynic in me just HAD to recall the scorched earth annihilation campaign that occurred when Michelle Obama said something similar during the campaign. And I'm sure there are still plenty of red-meat conservatives out there who would excoriate that young white woman for saying what she said.


But you know what? I bet the majority of Americans feel the same way. And that made me feel just fantastic. I tell ya, the "Welcome Home" gifts just keep on comin'.....


No comments: