In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Spark of Hope......

The generator almost caught fire last night.

But the good news is, we've had electricity for most of the day today! Somehow, where there's light, there's the hope that some creepy, crawly, or winged creature won't sneak up behind you and give you an instant coronary.

And we're going to Kampala tomorrow....me, our Technical Director, and The Intern. I swear, you've never met anybody like this young man...he is the most capable, affable, poised young person I've met in decades. Maybe it's because in a way, like me, he's taken the road less traveled in life. Instead of the 4 year university thing, he's been a sous chef in a Japanese restaurant, an EMT, a group home counselor, and managed several large ranches.

So far, about the only thing The Intern can't do is give birth. He says he just knows a lot of useless information about a wide range of things, but I think the dude is a certified genius. And he takes the initiative....you don't have to ask him to do things, 'cause in that superior brain of his, he's already figured out that it needed to be done and has started doing it.

I swear, I literally would not have made it through the past few weeks without The Intern. At 22, he's got more confidence, sense and sensibility than most....nay, ALL......of the men I've dated in the past decade. If he were 20 years older, I'd be all over him like a rash. As it is, I'm just thankful I didn't wind up with a useless slacker as an intern.

And the whole Internews Gulu crew is headed to semi-civilization tomorrow, for meetings, errands and such. If we don't get caught in the middle of a bloody coup or something, it will be a wonderful couple of days' respite from the insanity of the past week.

Not unlike a heaven-sent spark of hope. Just as long as it doesn't come from the generator, I'll cling to it.

No comments: