In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, September 3, 2007

After the Storm.....

Rainy season has started in Northern Uganda BIG TIME, and I have to say, I’m loving it! Other than the big trenches of mud, and the standing pools where malarial mosquitoes breed like bunnies, the sound of rain on a corrugated tile roof has become my favorite sound ever.

But the meteorological storms of late are nothing compared to the Nor' easter that roiled through the office this morning. If you’ll recall, I had to fire my acccountant today. Now, how can I describe the scenario in a way that does justice to what actually went down??? Hmmmm….

Okay, here goes. Imagine Curious George in a meth-fueled rage coming at you with a shiv.

Now, I’m not just being racist or derogatory by comparing my former assistant to that mischievous monkey we all know and love. It’s just that she has a rather large, round head with a short Afro, and dark glittering eyes that were always full of potential mayhem. She looks like freakin’ Curious George, people.

She had her say, and we had ours, and she left. I’m relieved that it’s over, and a bit proud of the way I kept my composure. Doing what you have to do can actually be a positive growth experience.

Especially after you’ve had 3 vodka tonics. So I’m going to go to bed now, because we have another workshop that begins tomorrow. And after all, tomorrow IS another day.

Toodles.

1 comment:

Sarafina said...

Hey Princess, It's Labor Day and I'm at work, but it's not so bad because I was able to catch up on the blogs. Im glad that you managed to relieve your assistant without any real issues. Let's just hope that the next tropical storm is no worse that the one that just left. Enjoy the world of MANAGEMENT!!