In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Crossing the Nile.....

I've had many extraordinary experiences in my life, but I think today was a high point.

Last night at the hotel in Entebbe I was so tired, my eyes were literally crossing. But after a decent night's sleep, I opened the curtains in my hotel to the amazing view of Lake Victoria. What an absolutely glorious way to start this journey.

The drive from Entebbe to Kampala was relatively brief, about 30 minutes. My soon to be predecessor, Chris Greene, is a proper, pleasant Brit who's been very helpful to me. But I suspect he's down to his last nerve......even though he lived in Nairobi for 3 years before Gulu, I believe he's lost the love for Uganda and is ready to blow this pop stand. Three months of trying to get the office here set up has fried his neurons pretty good.

Anyway, the 4 hour drive from Kampala to Gulu just about shook my cerebellum loose from my brain pan. Some stretches are okay, but then there are miles of potholes, broken pavement, and dirt roads....but, it's all worth the effort when you round one particular bend and see the Nile River.

What is it about the river Nile that evokes such powerful emotions? Sure, it's the longest river in the world, blah blah. The section I saw looks like just about any other river you might see in Montana or Wyoming. But my heart just about leapt from my chest at the sight.

And it felt like such a symbolic crossing for me. Three days ago, I was living in Washington, DC, with access to just about anything I could possibly want. Tonight, I'm sitting in the quiet little compound on Plot 26, Samuel Doe Road in Gulu, Uganda, with no street lights, sporadic electricity, just the sound of radio and crickets out the front door. But I haven't felt this relaxed, happy, and at peace in many, many years.

I'm am so blessed.

More tomorrow.

No comments: