In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, June 4, 2007

Au Revoir, Y'all

Tomorrow evening, I begin an 8 month journey living in Uganda. If you had told me 4 months ago that this would be happening, I would have hooted like an owl. It just would have seemed so outrageous.

But I think I've finally learned that nothing is impossible. NOTHING. Perfect example, I am still alive and sane after three years of the worst case of early menopause in recorded history. That alone assures me that I am powerful beyond human imagining.

I'm calling this journey my "Midlife Crisis Tour." After all, I turned 40 just 3 weeks after 9/11, and since then everything in my life has felt like one long, intense hot flash. Most of you know the litany of personal tragedies and challenges life has tossed my way. I've been so consumed by them, I haven't really had the time to buy a red sports car, converse with a Himalayan wise man, or break up somebody's marriage.

Instead, I'm opting to plunge into an entirely new experience. Well, not ENTIRELY new. I've had some tremendous opportunities to explore Africa over the past four years. I am now totally in love with Ethiopia, as you all know. I'm even planning to adopt an Ethiopian child in the next 2 years. But this will be my first experience living overseas, chillin' with the expats in Gulu, Uganda.

But right now, I have to get myself ready to get the heck out of Dodge. If you could see how much stuff I still have to get done.....less than 24 hours before I get on a plane, you'd think it's impossible. But like I just said, NOTHING is impossible.

The next time I write, it'll be from Uganda. Can't wait!

No comments: