In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"I'm just Sayin', Dawg," Part 24"

You know, it really pisses me off that I have been so busy and distracted lately (more on why that's the case at the appropriate time) that the only thing motivating me to resume blogging is yet another Satanic Sartorial Ensemble from one of the Williams sisters.

*Sigh*

Here's the thing about these amazing young women. I am so torn between wanting to be able to say that as long as they're two of the greatest female tennis players in the history of the game, they can wear burlap bags if they want to. I'd love to be able to say that most criticisms aimed their way are served up with an ice cold glass of Hater-ade, and that as talented as they are, they still can't escape being viewed through a faintly racism-tinged lens.

And THAT'S where my ruminations go off the rails. This ain't about race. It's about class. Or lack thereof. It's about making peoples' eyes bleed with the tacky threads vomited up from the bowels of your so-called "creative fashion vision." It's about being excoriated ad nauseum through the years for said outrageous and mostly unflattering duds, and still thumbing your nose at the world.

But mostly, it's about being silly enough to wear something that you have to constantly pull out of the crack of your ass to be comfortable, during an imporant match being viewed by millions of people around the world.

Now, you might want to jump right on in here at this point to remind me that Venus won that match, and is likely on her way to snagging another title. That's not the point of this particular rant. What I'm trying to get across here is that the line between being avante garde and ridiculous is dangerously thin. And these brilliantly talented young athletes keep foot-faultin' all over it, out of some deeply-rooted need to thumb their noses at us and say, "We can wear whatever we want, and the less you like it, the more we'll keep doing it."

It's either that, or they actually think they have fashion sense. Frankly, I'm not sure which is scarier....

"I'm just sayin', dawg....."

No comments: