In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Now, THAT'S a Fashion Statement!

This photo captures the biggest irony of being the only woman in a throng of Maasai men. While I was ooohing and ahhhhing over their glorious beaded necklaces, bracelets and headgear, they probably thought I was nuts for raving about things they consider as mundane and functional as the watch I wear every day. (Meanwhile, the whole time, I'm calculating how much I could charge for that stuff if I set up my own little import side hustle at Eastern Market in DC.)

But there was one piece of adornment I couldn't have begged, borrowed or paid every shilling in my wallet for. It was this Obama belt buckle, worn proudly and prominently by one of the young men, and it almost made me a bit misty-eyed. Just think, these young men reveling in an African forest have a closer link to President Barack Obama than I do.

Now, when it comes to fashion, this is what I call class, not trash.

No comments: