In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Friday, June 20, 2008

My Broadway Buddy

I can't believe I was actually nervous and shy about calling my friend Christopher Jackson the other day! He's the New York actor, singer, dancer and overall "Master Thespian" who is featured in this year's Tony-winning best Broadway musical, "In The Heights."

A few posts back, I wrote that I've known Chris since he was five years old. I've known him through his schoolboy days, the early struggles in New York, the big debut in "The Lion King", the whole nine yards.

Watching him perform Sunday night was possibly one of the most thrilling moments of my life. It was such a tribute to the triumph of hard work, persistence, faith and belief. I knew this man had poured every ounce of himself into that one moment, worked harder and longer than most, fought back depression and despair, and negativity, and never once gave in, when so many thousands of others before him had let go of their dream.

And the coolest thing is, he's just as down to earth and REAL as he ever was. When he returned my call, I was a bit tongue-tied at first, but pretty soon we were laughing and joking like always. I've been teasing him about not forgetting the little people when he "blows up," as the young folks say. I tell him that if he ever stops returning my calls, I will publicly embarrass him with stories about his childhood in Cairo. He knows I'm just crazy enough to do it.

Christopher Jackson is my new role model. Sure, I'm 14 years older than him, but you're never too old to learn from a sterling example of achievement. And when Chris is up on a stage standing behind that podium one day real soon, picking up his Tony or Grammy or Oscar, or all three, people are going to think he's this overnight sensation. But I'll know exactly how many hours and days and nights and weeks and months and years he worked to get there.

But don't take my word for just how amazingly talented Chris is. Here's a clip from his appearance on the CBS "Early Show" the morning after the Tony Awards Program. Click on this link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/15/entertainment/main4181892.shtml

....go to the photo, then click on the video tab. I think you'll agree....my Cairo homey got skills!

No comments: