In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, December 24, 2007

"Twas The Night Before Christmas in Gulu

‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house,
Crept lizards and bugs…. I’d prefer the damn mouse!
No stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
‘Cause I don’t have a chimney. I need central air!

Like good looks skipped past Jamie Foxx’s hag Wanda,
Santa has chosen to bypass Uganda.
This leaves me with plenty of time for hard thinking,
(Which is certainly better than choosing hard drinking.)

I’m thinking that rather than spend this time sad,
I’ll focus on why my new life ain’t so bad.
I’ve decided I’m actually here for a reason,
More important than my feeling lonely this season.

I chose to come here to share what I know
With colleagues who have a much worse row to hoe.
They work facing dangers so real and so plenty,
While back in DC, I hardly face any.

I’ve lived a good life, traveled so far and wide,
Had experiences more deep than the tears I have cried
Since October 19th, when dear Julie passed over,
To be with our parents, our brother…Jehovah.

I’ve learned I am strong, even more than I knew,
I’ve learned when I’m challenged, there’s lots I can do.
In just six months, I have grown so fast,
(And on fish and samosas, I do NOT mean my ass.)

My growth is internal, in spirit, in trust,
I came here to help produce news that is just.
I may choose to stay here for just one more year,
But I’ll do it without (much) frustration or fear.

I might stay to finish the goal I foresaw
When offered this job. What a hoot! Ha, HAH!
I thought I could help teach reporters to think,
‘Bout why their work matters, so close to the brink

Of lasting peace in this country so troubled.
And what we’ve accomplished is possibly double
Than what I expected. Why would I leave now?
My life may be lonely, but the work I do…WOW!

So even though Santa is nowhere in sight,
Merry Christmas to y’all, and to y’all, a good night.

2 comments:

Ron in Cairo said...

@midweYou go, girl!

Poety on Christmas Eve...I'm proud of you. You HAVE grown!

Here, I am, getting shit-faced...probably because Julie is displaced.

I chose the hard drinking...what was I thinking?

That I was a louse, not worthy of my spouse?

Yeah, but mostly just because I'm lonely without my Winky.

Hang in there, Rachel...it's what Julie wants...and all we can do!

Take care...I feel your pain!

Nicofeli Youth Club said...

" ... and here in the States there arose such a clatter/

as our woes and despair our dear Rachel did shatter.

big hugs as always across so many miles/

and thanks for your great words of wisdom and smiles!"

WE LOVE YA, GIRL!!!