In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Strength of a Woman

I’m having Scotch for dinner tonight, and that can’t be a good thing.

I was actually doing really well until Thursday afternoon, when I signed onto Yahoo and learned that Benazir Bhutto was assassinated. Now, I didn’t know the woman, never really followed Pakistani politics, and plus, I have my own mourning to grapple with. Still, Bhutto’s murder has left me more depressed than I’ve been in weeks.

A while back, I speculated that if Hillary Clinton is elected President of the United States, it could spark a tremendous catalyst for change for women around the world. Now, I’m just scared some nut job will whack HER if she gets the nomination.

Why are men so scared of powerful women? Sure, Bhutto’s two terms as Prime Minister weren’t exactly stellar, but she was such an incredible symbol of empowerment for women in Muslim countries. I remember feeling really excited when she went back to Pakistan in October. I thought, “Wouldn’t it be fantastic if the third time was the charm, and Bhutto swept to power on a wave of popular support, seeking to end oppression and help create real positive change for her people?”

I am such a damned Pollyanna, I’m making myself sick.

Anyway, when you think about it, Bhutto had to be prepared to die every minute of her life. Her father, one of the most popular leaders in Pakistan’s history, was executed. Two of her brothers were killed. She barely escaped death shortly after her return to Pakistan, when a suicide bomber targeted her convoy.

Watching that last video shot as Bhutto stood up through her limo’s sunroof, waving at the crowd, I just can’t help wishing she hadn’t been so damned courageous. I can’t help wishing she hadn’t had the guts of steel that made her continue her campaign after the first attack. I can’t help wishing that Benazir Bhutto had just stayed in exile, working for change behind the scenes.

But then I think about the strength of a woman. Plant a seed in us, and we can bring forth life, for Christ’s sake. And we can do it through the kind of pain that, if a man had to endure it, every government on earth would declare Caesarian sections mandatory.

I believe there is no power on earth stronger than a woman determined to make change. I say that even though Benazir Bhutto is dead, because I believe her death will spark a tremendous catalyst for change in the Muslim world.

In the entire world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to say that I really like your honest blogging. I know what it feels like to be stuck in central Uganda, too. Lived in both Adjumani and Arua for 2 years. SO, keep it going....

Happy New Year
Pernille

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachella,

I had problems commenting on your blog (forgot my Google password), so my previous comment came short.

As mentioned, I stayed in Uganda, too, and many times I went through the very same considerations: why am I here, should I get drunk, what happened to my life, why did it all go so fast, and what the f... am I doing here.

Well, I get you, and I believe you do one right thing - to let it out.

Anyway, I am in Dar es Salaam now, and not in doubt as I was in Uganda (well, in CPH atm)).

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you there for courageous and entertaining blogging!