In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Bewitched, Bothered and Blackmailed

It was in a setting not unlike this one that the "Ultimate Betrayal" occurred.

Wait, it was in this setting, to be specific. This shot was taken at one of my legendary dinner parties, possibly one of the top 3 I've thrown since I landed in Kenya. It was partly in honor of Faith and Danita, partly to mark my 3rd anniversary in Nairobi, and partly to test drive the recipe for Muddled Ginger Martinis that I got from my friend Veronica while I was in Chicago.

Maybe Faith and Danita decided it was also their best opportunity to make me pay for working them like field hands with pre-party cooking and cleaning. Hey, I've acknowledged that was probably a mistake. But did they REALLY have to stage a photo of me passed out on the couch with a mostly empty martini pitcher and a glass near my head???

I managed to secure a copy of that photo, in case any further doctoring occurs down the line. And yes, I was SLEEPING in that photo, but not because I'd consumed too many alcoholic beverages!! I was still battling jet lag, and had spent most of the prior few days prepping for the party and running around town with the girls...and hey, I ain't as young as I used to be!!!

Anyway, it really opens your eyes when your friends set you up, and then laugh like crazed loons about it while you cringe. But come to think of it, if you ever got to see that picture, you'd laugh, too. Not that you ever will. But if you DO, I'll know why and who's responsible.

Oh, I wouldn't do anything about it except laugh my ass off, too. After all, one of the best things about getting older is that ability to own every aspect of yourself, warts and all. And to be able to trust your friends when they say their blackmail demands will be reasonable and infrequent.

No comments: