In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Feelin' Elderly in Eldoret....


I am writing this post from the lobby of the Sirikwa Hotel in Eldoret. I got here Sunday night, after a marathon drive over some of the most fucked up roads I've ever traveled....and I say this after having lived in Northern Uganda.

I'll elaborate and elucidate on the past 72 hours once I've returned to Nairobi and can download some photos and get a hot stone massage and a stiff snort of an alcoholic beverage that doesn't contain goat's blood or diesel fuel. I am in desperate need of one, after my hike through 80 degree angle hills near Kakamega.

Have you ever watched a basket of puppies playing in an open pasture on a warm, sunny day? Well, that's what it's like hanging out with men in their 20's. I mean, they're really cute and cuddly, and it's so hilarious watching them tussle and bite each others ears and chase around after each other. You just want to take them home and hug 'em to death.....but you probably don't want to trust them to make decisions that could result in your tragic demise.

This is to say I had a lot of fun hanging out with my friend Rosemary's son's best friend Bryan, and his zany So Cal bud Ian, and their German entomologist buddies........that is, when I wasn't fleeing for my life, gasping for breath, or gorging myself pie-eyed on the best pizza I've had in years.

These are all things that most 20-something males consider normal entertainment. But by Sunday morning, I knew I had to escape Kakamega or risk being airlifted to the closest ICU.

Like I said, I'll explain later. Gotta check out Eldoret, meet with some reporters, and then get my ass on the next thing smokin' back to Nairobi.....

2 comments:

Nicofeli Youth Club said...

what did I tell you about the roads, girl?

Marie Javins said...

Those roads are famous!