In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

To Sir, With Love

39 years is only 7 years less than I've been alive. (Actually 6 and a half, but who's counting?) That's about 4 decades. And that's how long my brother-in-law Ron Newell has been teaching in the Cairo Public School System.

Or I guess I should say that's how long he taught in the Cairo Public School System. Ron turned in his resignation today, right after a ceremony for two other retiring teachers in the school system. If he had wanted to give a heads up to his colleagues earlier, there would have been 3 commemorative school bells instead of just 2 during that ceremony. But I'm the only person Ron told about his decision to retire at the end of this year. I gotta tell you, it was agony for me to keep the secret and NOT try and arrange some sort of gala celebration of his dedication and commitment.

But considering all he has gone through in the past 7 months....and the past decade or so of Julie's serious health challenges....Ron knew he couldn't deal with the emotions and drama of saying a formal goodbye. And I had to respect that. So even though he deserves a big party with balloons and dancing and great food and bottomless Bud Light with Lime, Ron just dropped off his letter of resignation and drove over to Paducah, Kentucky to get himself a Big Mac.....and some roses for my sister Julie's grave. He says he gave her roses when she retired a few years ago, so he wanted to do the same for his retirement.

I could just go on and on about this man, who modeled for me how a man should move through life. Ron Newell remains the most decent, loving, strong, honest, courageous man I have ever known. In fact, I'm largely still single today because I can't find a man like him. Why bother with some schmuck who would bail on me during the hard times, or who won't stand up for what he believes in?

But rather than try to explain who he is, I want to include a link to his announcement of his retirement. It is written with more grace, honesty, and eloquence than I could muster in the same situation. It's yet another reason why I believe that God sent Julie to Cairo High School early one morning in 1968 to apply for a job, and this skinny white guy opened the door when she knocked to get in, and he seemed to know almost instantly that this petite little pixie would be his soulmate and beloved charge for the rest of her life. And DAMN, didn't he do his job well.

Oh, and he was a pretty darned good teacher, too. Here's the link to Ron's Cairo Association of Teachers blog, CATTracks:

http://geocities.com/cattracks.geo/6-2-08retire.htm

And here's my personal tribute to My Brother-in-Law, Ronald Eugene Newell:

Those schoolgirl days of telling tales and biting nails are gone
But in my mind I know they will still live on and on
But how do you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume?
It isn't easy, but I'll try

If you wanted the sky I would write across the sky in letters
That would soar a thousand feet high,

'To Sir, With Love'

The time has come for closing books and long last looks must end.
And as I leave I know that I am leaving my best friend
A friend who taught me right from wrong and weak from strong.
That's a lot to learn. But, what can I give you in return?

If you wanted the moon I would try to make a start,
But I would rather you let me give my heart,

'To Sir, With Love'

No comments: