In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Other Side of the Tracks

......And tour Kibera, one of the largest and most infamous slum communities on the African continent, through one of the community groups I've worked with there.

I believe Faith and Danita got to see Africa in a way most Americans never will...as diverse, vibrant and complex, not just as an extended safari tour with giraffes walking up and down the streets and people wearing banana leaf skirts. It's a tragedy, but a lot of people simply can't picture a city with skyscrapers and highways and restaurants and malls in Africa--at least outside of Johannesburg or Cape Town, that is.

The experience left them pretty pretty sober. Speaking of sobriety.....that's where all the trouble began....

No comments: