In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

"I'm Just Sayin', Dawg..." Part 29

I'm not sure what it is about this time of year that makes me purchase biblical footwear, but if you'll recall a posting from last June (that is, if you haven't completely given up on my flighty blogging of late...), I allowed myself to get sucked into the vortex of ridiculously over-priced high-end shoe shopping during a jaunt in Georgetown, and just because some guy at a pretentious feng-shui boutique on M Street looooooved NPR, and thought I was a righteous humanitarian for working in Kenya.

He reduced the price of a pair of Givenchy sandals by a third--but they were STILL three times more than what I paid for these bad boys. Remember how I just wrote that my feet were hurting so bad during my Vienna jaunt, I thought I'd wrecked them? Well, how 'bout these mugs for solving the problem???

By the end of the third day of endlessly fascinating wandering, I ducked into a Nike store on Mariahhilferstrasse (Don't EVEN ask...) fully intending to find a pair of sturdy, stolid sneakers. Oh, I peeped these black gladiators out the corner of my eye, but as the young salesman kept insisting I try them on, I scoffed. Sure, they're funky and fun-looking, but I needed arch support. "Structural Heel"-ing, so to speak.

Half an hour later and "BAM!" I was half-gliding, half-limping towards the nearest Bratwurst stand. After all, "It is better to LOOK good than to feel good, no?"

"I'm just sayin', dawg..."

No comments: