In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Friday, May 30, 2008

A Year in the Life

Okay, my last blogpost gave me the perfect excuse for being so trifiling about writing posts. Having a Blackberry Curve phone is like having a new baby in the house. Or at least for me, it's the closest thing to that experience I'll ever have.

It's been really cool, and wildly convenient. But when you get right down to it, I've probably only mastered about 1/3rd of the phone's technological functions. And yes, I know the day will come when I want to smash the thing against the wall, but I don't want to think about that now.

In fact, the harsh reality is, I've just been wildly lazy lately. That's another reason I haven't been posting; I just haven't felt like it, even though a day rarely passes when I don't have something I want to say about some such thing or another.

All that's about to change, though. It's been a year since I started writing this blog. Looking back at the first post, it almost reads like somebody else wrote it. Somebody much, MUCH younger and vastly more naive. I was totally giddy last May, filled with excitement about my first experience as an American Expat.

Yesterday, my best friend Faith wondered if I ever could have imagined all that has happened since last May. I probably could have anticipated most of the challenges of Gulu, Uganda if I'd really thought hard about it. I probably could have foreseen NOT going back to work at NPR, because I suspected that living and working in Africa would be so exhilarating and fulfilling, I wouldn't want to go back to sitting at a desk in a newsroom. And I pretty much knew I'd still be single, because I kinda figured Mr. Rght would have more sense than I do and would somehow manage to avoid a trip to Gulu. But there's no way I would have begun to imagine a life without my big sister Julie.

But here I am. As I told Faith, Julie was my compass, and now my compass is gone. That means I have to find or make a new one. And guess what? I've done just that. Keep reading, and all shall be revealed.......

And I think I'l do it on the 1 year anniversary of the day I flew out of Dulles last year. That would be June 5. Don't worry, I'll be writing posts in between now and then. I just want to save the good stuff for that momentous day.

Ciao for now.

No comments: