In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, August 6, 2007

The Vicious Circle of Life.....

Woke up to a big bummer today. Our wonderful housekeeper, Pamela, came to the compound this morning crying her poor heart out. She told us her brother had died last night, of malaria.

Once again, all I could offer was a big hug. Oh, and some money to help bury him. She wasn't going to say anything until my assitant V. pressed her about it. Then I jumped in, insisting that she tell me how much she needed.

Having been involved in a few funerals myself in recent years, I expected to hear a substantial amount. It's OBSCENE how much funerals cost in America. But whatever she needed, I was ready to help.

Between sobs, Pamela whispered, "50,000." That's about 30 US dollars. What I'd pay for a decent meal and a glass of wine in DC.

I'm so honored that she allowed me to help. And I'm just so very sad, too. But what is it they say....."Life Goes On"????

Next time I write, it'll be from Kampala. I'm heading down again this afternoon at 2:30, on good old Eagle Air. Then, on August 8th, I fly to Nairobi, for a week's worth of Internews regional meetings. I'm taking "Dreams of My Father" with me to read while I'm there.....it'll be kind of cool to read Barack Obama's life story while I'm in Kenya.

Later, Taters.....

Rachella

No comments: